Friday, 3.14.2014:
For all of you non U of I readers out there. Unofficial is an Illini tradition. Typically the University of Illinois is on Spring Break for St Patrick's Day. And so what do a bunch of college students decide to do? Simply celebrate the holiday earlier, and so Unofficial St Patricks Day was born. This day consists of green outfits, drinking beer all day, and a wealth of great decisions. Not being on campus did not stop the study abroad Illini students. Illini from all around Europe flew into Dublin to celebrate the holiday that means so much to us. Everyone at my place woke at 6, we put on our green outfits and smiles and then made the trek to the boys apartment. Once there, everyone had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones. I truly loved this day because it made me feel like I was back on campus and because everyone was having an absolute blast. Here is a picture of the group at the boys place:
Aren't we a group of merry college students?
After awhile at the boys place we migrated to Stephens Lane. We had the hopes of doing an apartment crawl so that no house got stuck with bearing the brunt of the mess that accompanies this fine holiday. At Stephens Lane I made some new friends which was cool because unlike most people I meet here abroad, when I go back home I can actually see these people on a regular basis.
Since people started the day so early a nap is usually necessary about half way through the day, I am no exception. I had to take a break for a while at Stephens Lane so I slept for a couple hours there. A bunch of people wandered back to their apartments or to the place they were staying at, while a couple of people attempted the Pub Crawl we haphazardly set up. It turns out that a lot of pubs are not big fans of rowdy college students in green at 1 pm, this meant that a lot of people got turned away from the pubs. I wasn't here for any of this since I was still napping at Stephens Lane. When I finally woke up I walked over with Spencer to one of the pubs down the street. At the Barge we just met up with other people for a bit. Hunger set in and Spencer, his friend Joey, Angie, her friend Christa and I all went to get food. The taste of food after not eating pretty much all day and instead just drinking, cannot not be put into words. Looking back the food wasn't very good but in the moment I was in heaven. After dinner all of us walked back to Fortesque Lane to try an meet up with people. Shawn was the only one up when we there. We had a quick dance party and then thought hitting up Flannerys was a good idea. Flannerys was pretty dead but a lot of Illinois kids ended up showing up which was good since we worried everyone was scattered to the winds. Thankfully Becky and Hannah showed up, I was particularly worried about reconnecting with them. We all got a pint and chatted before deciding to go to Whelans. Whelans is famous because part of PS I Love You is filmed there. This was a blast and a half, the band was pretty awesome and Illinois kids just took over. Here is some pictures and videos from Whelans.
Once the band had finished their set we decided it was time to head home. As I laid in bed I looked back on one giant success of an Unofficial!
No comments:
Post a Comment